Friday, November 7, 2008

Blackwood Day 0

Once or twice a year I try to convince John Blackwood to come to the DCL and every time he forgets that last time he left screaming.

Well he and Trinka arrived straight from FlaJim’s place in the mountains, willing and rested. They may have wanted a quit evening alone on Day 0, but no such luck. They headed over to Vin Rouge and I joined from the office. It’d been a hell of a week, so I helped myself to a couple of Campari & sodas while they were drinking the Brun.

2006 Jean-Paul Brun Moulin-à-Vent
Juicy, bright and very much in the house style. There was a time a few years back when I found some of the Cru to be quite a bit more blowsy and overtly fruity than the l’Ancien. I didn’t pay too much attention, but certainly worth drinking.

1995 Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Les Saint Georges
This was tighter than I expected, but I probably should have expected it to be tighter. Very refined and old-viney tasting with a core of fruit that finishes long. There was a regalness to this wine that you just don’t get from other vineyards in Nuits-St-Georges. I think this wine has a very promising future. I’d love to try it again in 5 years, but it didn’t belong to me, but to Vin Rouge.

No comments: