Friday, November 21, 2008

Winning streak

Recently, I had a great streak where wines showing amazingly well. I think it has something to do with the beautiful weather during October (I’d really like to see a study on wine and barometric pressure). In any event, these two wines showed better than they ever have before. So well, I’m tempted to say neither one will ever get better.

1996 Pierre-Jacques Druet Bourgueil Vaumoreau
A great bottle of this, much better than my last bottle. Really well defined layers with lots of forest, leather, earth, and brighter flowers notes around a core of fruit lifted up on a bed of something distinctly limestone like. What was really striking was the sphericity of the nose. It was so headily perfumed it seemed to really invade the senses. The tannins are getting towards the resolved side and one wouldn’t be doing a disservice by drinking all your bottles in the next 3 years. I think it has more to show and I’ll try to hold one or two for another decade or more. Very compelling stuff and you should open a bottle soon if you have some.

1998 Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
The best bottle of this I’ve had and the best Chateauneuf I’ve had in a long time. There was a nice structure to the juicy fruit with all the garrigue nuance you could want. Everyone knows we at the VLM-TR are not big fans of Grenache, but this really turned our heads. Unlike so many I’ve had, this was well delineated and complex with real presence and structure, not to mention actual acidic lift. If you like Chateauneuf, this is a wine I would seek out.

4 comments:

Florida Jim said...

After many years of being tempermental, it does seem that the '98 VT is emerging. I have started to drink-up my stash and have enjoyed three bottles of it recently. Even have another with me here in FL for a future moment.
One of those "finally" moments.
Best, Jim

Cliff said...

Glad to hear. This was a rare case purchase for me, and I haven't touched it yet. But I've got one waiting to try. Thanks for the note.

Lyle Fass said...

I haver two '96 of the Druet. Maybe it's time to open one. Last one three years ago was closed.

the vlm said...

Jim and Cliff-

I also had a 1995 VT recently that was really good.

Lyle-

It has changed a lot in the last couple of years. I also have my last bottle of 1996 Grand Mont that I will have soon.