Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Best laid plans

These are some old notes from dinner at Lantern with a couple of friends. Despite picking some wines that would normally seem to be excellent, it was one of those nights where none of the wines were that interesting. It happens.

2007 Do Ferreiro Albariño Cepas Vellas
Good as always. This year’s version seems leaner and more obviously structured than in the past few years. It could just be the lack of babyfat. Lacked a bit of aromatic intensity tonight; however, this is generally a very cool wine that everyone should try at least once.

1998 Bernard Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
Eh. Never really became interesting. There was a beet thing that sort of threw me off (the beet thing is something I’ve come across in quite a few Dugat-Py wines). The cork was a bit soaked, so it may have seen some temperature before it got to me. Regardless, I think that these wines are not really for me.

1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
I’ve had this wine several times and this was a good, but not great bottle. This could have something to do with stemware and serving temperature or it could be that some bottles are just better than others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need to try cepas vellas again, last time was a little close, showing not much more than sulfur. I assume it just needed time as i enjoyed the 06 very much.

Jack Everitt said...

The 1981 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia - I have had a great one, so either bottle variation, bad day, or not enough opening time.

Unknown said...

I've got a 2000 DF CV that will accompany some excellent dungeness crab tonight!

the vlm said...

Pig Fucker-
I don't think it gets tons of sulfur, but I'm glad it gets some. It's a pretty cool wine if not a Huet level wine.


Jack-
I've had many great bottles of Bosconia from 1981 and some Tondonia as well (but with a lower hit rate). I had an ex from 1981, so have tried a bunch.


Scott-
How was it?