Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I still drink German riesling

VLM at home with nothing better to do than order Chinese and watch Generation Kill.

2004 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #9
I bought at least a case of this on close-out for something like $16, which is surely a crime somewhere. I’ve been a big Schaefer fan for as long as I can remember buying German wine, and always find the Spätlese beautiful. I’ve been really happy with the fairly angular 2004s, although this has softened a bit since my last bottle. Plenty of fat still on the bones, so it should be better in a few years, keeping in mind that I probably like most of my Spätlese on the younger side than most.

2 comments:

Lyle Fass said...

Cool. I have this wine. This post sounds like my life. Except The Wire and not Generation Kill.

the vlm said...

I need to get Season 5, still haven't seen it. I'll need to start from Season 1 and go all the way through, of course.

This wine is killer.