Friday, November 9, 2012

Yes darling, I still drink Bourgogne Blanc



2010 V&S Morey Chassagne 1er Caillerets

Starting out very tight, wood marked, and sullen, this was placed to the side while we enjoyed yet another excellent, if young, bottle of 2009 Pépière Clisson. After about another hour, we jumped back in and the wine had come to life. All of the melon, citrus and yellow pit fruit you would expect from Caillerets, as well as a nice mineral tang. The oak retreats enough for me to supply a nice spice top note that I find appealing with young chardonnay. For me, this only works if there is the good acidity to frame the wood and adequate mineral notes to underpin the spice. This is really a fantastic young vintage of this wine, which I have enjoyed for years and year from their father Bernard. I think you should wait at least another 12-18 months to let things integrate, although with air this is good now. Given the current state of white Burgundy, who knows what the long term future is. Mine won’t last more than 5-7 years.

No comments: