Thursday, September 23, 2010

Brooklynguy made me think

In a very nice post, Brooklynguy (whose blog I’ve begun reading in earnest and I’ve linked to) brought up a point that I think many people miss about the purpose of cellaring wine. A wine cellar isn't just a trophy cabinet or a hoard of treasure. I've said before that it is an extension of your kitchen, a type of root cellar. There are many excellent wines that aren't true vin de garde, but are excellent accompaniments to food and really shine with a with a couple of years of cellaring. Once you start to think of wine in this way, I think it helps to develop a much more sophisticated appreciation for wine in general. If your wines for daily consumption are all of the buy-today-to-drink-tonight variety you'll be missing a whole spectrum of enjoyment.

Here is a short list of wines that are very reasonable that I have found to gain character with a little age (2-3 years post release).

Baudry Cuvée Domaine Chinon
Roilette Fleurie
Dom. Ste. Anne St. Gervais
Clos Roche Blanche côt
Gamot and Cayrou Cahors
Brovia barbera
Montesecondo CC
Felsina CC Riserva

Guillemot Mâcon
Roally Mâcon
All Muscadet from Marc Olivier, Luneau-Papin, Bregeon, Landron (see David Lillie's excellent article in The Art of Eating).
Hüet pétillant
Pinon Vouvrays


What are some little wines that you cellar?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Vajra Langhe Rosso
Produttori Nebbiolo delle Langhe
JP Brun l'Ancien
Lapierre Morgon
Fattoria Cabanon Boisee
Any of the Guy Bossard Expressions
Chateau Bousquette St. Chinian Cuvee Prestige
COS Cerasuolo di Vittoria
Cappellano Barbera
Fontanavecchia Aglianico

Cliff said...

For me, Puffeney Trousseau

Jason A said...

Just about any Loire Cab Franc.

the vlm said...

Richard-

That's a good list. I don't do Brun (even though I love the wine) because of the fake cork. Never thought of doing that with the Vajra. Don't know either the Cabanon or the Bousquette.

I almost put Bossard on the list, but I've had some up and down experiences with his wines over the last few years. Wish I had socked away some 2002s though.



Cliff-

That sounds like a good idea.


Jason-

Indeed. I mentioned just the Baudry Domaine because I consider the Grézeaux, Guillot, and Croix Boissée to be wines made for aging. Ditto most of the other cabernet franc in my cellar. I used to age the Galichets and Beaumonts from Breton, but the fake cork screwed that up. Still have a couple bottles of 2002 Galichets left.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Nathan - this is actually Scott Luetgenau. Commented through google and it used my first name, Richard. Not sure how to get around that.

Even with the crappy cork I had luck with some of the l'Ancien I ordered through Coquette a couple of years ago.

I used to sell the Cabanon before I left for New York and I don't think it's currently available in our market - truly impressive Bonarda from Oltrepo Pavese.

The Vajra benefits from hanging out a couples of years, depending on the vintage.

The Bousquette is a mighty fine wine for the price. When the local distributor went out of business I purchased a few cases for something ridiculous - around a $1 a bottle, I think. It was 01 and turned out to be the perfect house wine until it faded in 09. It was restrained for the climate - nice woodsy, herbal stuff - dark but balanced fruit.

I'm still a big Bossard fan - I know exactly what you mean about the vintage variation. The wines aren't as focused as Ollivier's and sometimes that's just what I crave. I can attest to the fact that the 02's are incredible - had a nice 02 granite expression last winter with some shellfish. We actually enjoyed some 02 Angeli 'La Lune' that night which was stunning. Plan to visit Bossard around the Dive event this winter for his annual oyster shindig.

See you Monday.

Unknown said...

I hate to be a broken record, but 2-3 years is probably just about wrong for Huet petillant.

And as you know, 20-30 years is not out of bounds.

Jack Everitt said...

"A wine cellar isn't just a trophy cabinet or a hoard of treasure. I've said before that it is an extension of your kitchen, a type of root cellar."

I definitely think of my cellar as a personal treasure horde - one that won't appeal to 99 out of 100 wine drinkers, but it appeals greatly to me.

And of course, it is an extension of our kitchen, as is our vegetable garden.

(Where is the option to input my name and website?! "Anonymous" option.

Cliff said...

Just had a 2001 Messmer Riesling that fit this bill just right.