Monday, April 6, 2009

Fading too soon

At dinner with an old friend. Talking the economy and old times.

1995 Castello dei Rampolla Sammarco
Nice ruby color and a nose that was mineral inflected cabernet with hints of the sangiovese poking out. At first pour, it is still a bit lively, but after sitting in the glass for a while it shows itself to be fully resolved. For my palate, I think I would have preferred to drink this a couple of years ago when it had a feistier structure. I’m surprised that it is so fully mature. Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed as I thought this would be longer lived and more interesting than it ended up being. Unless you like your wine in full tertiary mode, there is no reason to wait another minute.


2007 Puzelat Pineau d'Aunis Touraine La Tesnière
This was holding some gas, as is often the case with young wines from Thierry. Exuberant and a delightful accompaniment to braised pork cheeks. Crunchy red fruits and a tangy mineral quality with the whisps of white pepper coming in and out. Delicious and fun.

No comments: