Monday, January 12, 2009

An animal thought extinct.

I can't remember the last time I had a Brunello that I enjoyed so much.

2006 Monastero Suore Cistercensi Coenobium Lazio IGT
People like this wine a lot more than I do. It’s certainly pleasant, but always seems to me to be a bit round and diffuse. In a similar vein, I like the Cá de Noci Notte di Luna much, much more.

1997 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile
When first poured, it shows a disturbing musty quality. Not the first time I’ve experienced that with this cuvee. After it blows off however, the wine was lovely. I liked it a whole lot better than anyone at the table, which seemed really weird to me. It was a bit atypical in it’s round and obviously fruited richness, but still managed to hold it all together and not get glommy at all. I have a couple fo bottles left and will be drinking them in the next year or two. I think this would be great with a simple fish and buerre blanc.

1999 La Palazetta Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
This was awesome. The most I’ve enjoyed a Brunello in a good long while. It had that lovely, bright cranberry/cherry fruit of svelte sangiovese without heaviness or dark color. How lovely to see and actual ruby colored Brunello. Lots of complexity and nuance from herbs to scrub to animal notes, the whole gamut. This can be enjoyed now or aged for a decent bit, maybe 10 more years (or longer if you like that sort of thing). For myself, it is so good now, I’d start jumping in.

No comments: